TO: FWD FROM LOC SUBJ 1ST MARINES
THE 27TH MARINES SENT MOST OF ITS MARINES ON DIFFERENT ASSIGNMENTS AND THE UNIT WENT BACK TO THE WORLD, THE 1ST MARINES ASSUMED COMMAND OF THE TAOR AND THE REGIMENTAL CP WENT TO THE 27TH REGT CP AT DUONG SON (2) .
FOLLOWING FOUND IN 1ST MARINES COMMAND CHRONOLOGY FOR SEPTEMBER 1968
PART II SECTION E LOGISTICS
3. Maintenance. After the unit settled into the new area, as strong effort was made to bring all maintenance work up to standards. Quarterly inspections were held as required on all vehicles, and all items requiring third echelon maintenance were turned into 1st FSR. Over 100, 000 sandbags were replaced in the Regimental cantonment alone.
SECTION G COMMUNICATIONS
1. After having taken over all communications facilities from the 27th Matrines on August 31, the 1st Marines communication platoon continued to provide communication for the 1st Marines Command Post at Duong Son II.
4. From 18 September to the end of the month, a team from the 7th Engineer Bn along with Regimental Headquarters and 3/1 electricians worked on rewiring the entire CP area.
1 Sep 68- Tghe communications platoon continued to man facilities at the main CP at Duong Son II and the Regimental rear at Phu Bai. The latter consisted mainly of a message center while the former included radio, radio relay, wire. message center, electric power, and a communication repair facility.
4-6 Sep 68- The Regiment experienced a tropical storm during this period. The communications platoon worked to maintain communications despite high winds and heavy rain. The flooding of the underground communications center forced its abandonment and subsequent move above ground. Storm damage consisted of minor damage to antennas. All communications were maintained throughout the storm.
(6) The vital area of the Danang complex is centered on two points: Grids at AT 998763 and BT 007737
(7) The rocket belt is defined as that area that falls between radii drawn 8,000 and 12,000 meters from the two points identified in (6) above.
b. Code Name: The code name "Fire Arrow" is used to identify message traffic dealing with enemy rocket threat.